What's the Weather?
1st Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of weather.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about different kinds of weather.
• Explore and apply the concept of weather and different kinds of weather.
Children will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of weather.
• Orally use words that describe different kinds of weather.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about different kinds of weather.
• Use key concept words [warm, cold, conditions, forecast, extreme predict].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about weather:
• Different kinds of weather.
• What kind of activities we can do in different kinds of weather.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask children: What do you see in this picture? (outside, a sunny day, sky, etc.)
• Ask children: What does the sky look like in this picture? (blue, sunny, etc.)
• Say: The sky looks different in different kinds of weather. For example, when it is rainy the sky is cloudy. What does the sky look like when it is snowing? (dark, cloudy, etc.)
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next two slides, showing them that the pictures show different examples of weather. Always have the children describe their favorite type of weather.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to talk about examples of activities they like to do inside when the weather is rainy. After the second game, have them discuss what happens in different kinds of storms—rain storms, thunderstorms and snowstorms.
Close• Ask children: What is the weather like today? (answers will vary).
• Say: There are many different kinds of weather. Some days the weather is warm and sunny, and other days the weather is rainy and cold. As we learn about weather, let's think about what kinds of things people can do in different kinds of weather.