3rd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on mammals.
• Students will learn about the habitat, habits, and appearance of four mammals by playing a guessing game and reading the answers to questions.
• Students will continue to guess the mystery animal until they guess correctly.
KidsCom is an online educational resource that contains a large number of games and online activities for children of all ages.
• Have students divide into groups to compile a list of "fun facts" about each of the 23 mystery animals in the games (the fun facts are provided on the site after each mystery animal is guessed correctly). Then, have the class get together to decide an inventive way to display the information• such as a class poster or mural.
• Have students connect to http://www.nature.ca/notebooks/english/mammpg.htm. Ask them to pick a mammal from the list, click on its corresponding link, and:
make a list of its size, habitat, and diet and compare it with another mammal from the list.
make a poster presenting information about that mammal.
write a mock• encyclopedia entry about that mammal.