6th Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about oceanography.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about the ocean and the things that live within it.
• Explore and apply the concepts of what oceanographers study and how they do their jobs.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the ocean, sea life, and ocean study.
• Orally use words that name sea animals and oceanographer tools.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about the various categories of study that oceanographers are involved in.
• Use key concept words [surface, oceanography, laboratory, scuba diver, submarine, sea life, shipwrecks].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words. • Explain that students are going to learn about oceanography:
• What does an oceanographer study?
• What are some tools oceanographers use?
• Why we need to learn about the ocean.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What are some examples of ocean life? (sharks, lobsters, whales, etc.)
• Ask students: How many oceans exist? (Four: Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic).
• Say: Oceanographers are people who study the ocean and what is in it. Oceanography is important because it helps us to learn about the weather. Oceanographers use many tools in order to do their job. What are ways oceanographers get under water? (submarines, scuba gear, etc.)
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next four slides showing them pictures of people doing various things around water. Always have the students discuss if the activity could be classified as something an oceanographer would do.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to discuss experiences they have had at the ocean or with sea life. After the second game, have students discuss whether they would they like to be oceanographers someday.
Close• Ask students: What is your favorite type of sea life?
• Summarize for students that oceanography can help us to understand the weather. Oceanography also teaches us about ocean life. Encourage them to draw a diagram of their favorite type of sea life and explain its various parts to the class.