5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on trees.
• Students will learn more about trees.
• Students will complete an online exercise by reading a tutorial about photosynthesis and answering questions based on the tutorial.
This site is presented by Virginia Cooperative Extension, a sited dedicated to educating people about the natural world we live in. This particular site is geared towards students and it offers resources for teachers.
• Have students talk about forests they have visited or explored.
• Have students discuss why forest conservation is so important to our environment.
Have students connect to http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/trees2/index.html. Then have students:
click on their preferred language to begin the tutorial, The Secret Life of Trees . Then have students click Next (the acorn icon) to listen to the entire tutorial.
think about what the world would be like without trees and write a story or poem about it.
write a paragraph describing things that can be done to save our forests.