Ice Castles Sand Castles
1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the Internet to learn about building.
• Children will learn about materials used for building.
• Children will match building materials to a finished product.
• Look at the Web site again. Talk about the steps in building a train track, a sand castle, an ice castle, or a brick house. If possible, bring a plastic or wood train set and place it in a learning center. Have children build train tracks during center time. You can also place blocks or other items used to build in the center.
• Have students build their own igloos or ice castles. Children can work as a group or individually to design a castle. Give each group or child a piece of cardboard or construction paper to serve as the base of the castle. Use sugar cubes and glue to build the ice castle.