2nd Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of staying fit.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about how we can stay fit.
• Explore and apply the concept of why it is good to stay fit.
Children will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of staying fit.
• Orally use words that describe ways that we can stay fit.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about why it is good to stay fit.
• Use key concept words [walking, running, stretching, drinking water, good nutrition, staying fit, exercise].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the concept vocabulary words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about staying fit.
• Ways we can stay fit.
• What exercise means.
• Why stretching is important.
• Why we should stay fit.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask children: What kind of game are the children playing in the photo? (tug• of• war, seeing who can pull the rope the hardest). How are the children in the photo staying fit? (moving around a lot, pulling with their arms).
• Ask children: How do you like to stay fit? (answers will vary).
• Say: There are many ways that we can keep our bodies healthy. We can play outside. We can eat vegetables and fruits. What are some other things that we can do? (drink water, play sports, eat foods from the five food groups).
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next four slides, showing them ways to stay fit. Always have the children describe the children in the pictures and how they are staying fit.
Apply• Have children play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to talk about why some activities help you stay fit and others don't. Help the children learn more about the ways to stay fit they are interested in. After the second game, have them discuss how they would stay fit on a rainy day.
Close• Ask children: Why do you want to stay fit? Explain.
• Summarize for children that there are many ways we can stay fit. It is important to stay fit because we will be healthy and feel good. Encourage children to think about activities they'd like to try that would help them stay fit.