A Rainy Day
Kindergarten Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to do research and inquiry on thunder and lightning.
• Children will learn about thunder and lightning and how they are related.
• Children will draw pictures of lightning that is near and lightning that is far away.
• Have children read the information about thunder and lightning again on the Web site. Have the class work together to create a lightning and thunderstorm in the classroom. Give some students large pieces of paper to shake or noisemakers to create thunder. Give some students flashlights to create lightning. Turn the lights on and off to create a large storm in the classroom!
• Work with the class to brainstorm ways to stay safe during a lightning storm. Explain to children that they should stay away from metal, high places, and water. Suggest some situations, like playing in the park or walking home from school, and ask children to talk about ways to stay safe when lightning strikes during such a situation. Have children draw warning signs explaining how to stay safe during a storm and hang them around the classroom.