2nd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on firefighters.
• Children will learn more about firefighters and what they do.
• Children will listen to information about equipment that firefighters use. Children will also answer some true and false questions about firefighters.
This site is presented by, the City of Davis, California. The site explains, via visual and audio graphics, the various types of equipment that firefighters use.
• Have the children discuss ways to prevent fires.
• Have the children talk about what they should do in case of a fire.
• Have the children connect to http://www.state.il.us/kids/fire/housein.htm. Then have children:
Complete the activity by clicking on an area of each room where they think there is a potential fire hazard. Note: student must use the back arrow key to return to the main house after each room activity.
Talk about things in their own home that might be considered a fire hazard and what they could do to make their home safer.
Make a chart of a room showing how it is protected against fires.