Discovering Nature’s Secrets
4th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to research and inquire about nature's secrets in a rainforest.
• Students will explore a virtual depiction of a rainforest at night to learn information about the rainforest plants and animals.
• Students will name four plants and animals that live in a rainforest and give a fact about each.
The National Geographic Web site includes links to many articles and videos about historical and cultural events.
• Have students connect to http://news.nationalgeographic.com/kids/2003/09/giantflower.html, another page on the National Geographic Web site. Here, students can read about the largest flower in the world, which also happens to be the smelliest. After students read, have them use a yardstick to measure the size of the flower's petals. Help students measure the flower's height.
• Have students connect to http://www.sdnhm.org/kids/fossils/index.html. Then have students:
make a fossil of their own with clay and shells or leaves
find books on fossils. Have them draw pictures of fossils they have found.
research about fossils in books or on the internet. Have them draw a famous fossil that has been found and write facts about the fossil.