Early Flying Machines
6th Grade, Research and Inquiry Activities
2. Under Artifact Gallery, click on View Wright brothers' artifacts. Read the paragraph In the pop-up window. When you have finished, click START.
3. Click on the 7 in the menu above to see an article from a journal called The Aeronautical Annual. How may this article have influenced the Wright brothers’ experiments?
4. Click on the 10 in the menu above to see a primary source of Wright brothers information. It is a letter that Wilbur Wright wrote to the Smithsonian Institution. What is the purpose of the letter?
5. Click on the 18 in the menu above. You will see another primary source. This is a magazine article the Wright brothers wrote that was published in Century Magazine. What did they write about?
6. Write 2-3 paragraphs about your thoughts on whether publishing details about scientific experiments helps or hurts scientific developments. Consider how the Wright brothers may have altered their experiments after reading about the experiments of others. Also consider how the Wright brothers may have felt if publishing information about their unsuccessful hard work led to a successful result by someone else.
For additional information on early flying machines, go to http://aviation-history.com/early/wright.htm. This site provides details on the Wright brothers' design achievements.