Shadows and the Sun’s Position
1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to do research and inquiry on shadows.
• Children will see examples of shadows in the morning, at noon, and in the afternoon.
• Children will draw shadows into pictures of children at nine o'clock in the morning and at noon.
• Have children work in pairs. Ask them to stand outside on a stretch of blacktop or sidewalk. At two different times of day, have each child stand in a spot and have his or her partner trace the outline of the resulting shadow in chalk. Ask students to talk about the difference between the two shadows at different times of day.
• Using an overhead projector and black construction paper, make shadow profiles of children. Have each child sit down in front of the projector so that their shadow is cast onto the black paper. Trace the shadow with chalk or a light• colored marker, cut it out and mount it against a different colored piece of paper.