Pioneer Farming Tools
3rd Grade, Research and Inquiry Activities
1. Connect to this link: www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/tools.html
2. Read the information under the heading Tools. Click on the photo, farm equipment, and tools links to see what the equipment and tools looked like.
3. Read the section Plowing and Planting to find out about how the pioneers planted their crops. Click on the different links to see and read more about the processes of plowing and planting.
4. Read the section Harvesting and Threshing
5. Use what you have learned to write a journal entry narrated by a pioneer farmer. Tell about which crops you are planting and how you will care for and harvest them. Illustrate your entry with pictures of the tools you will use.
Go to www.worldalmanacforkids.com/WAKI-ViewArticle.aspx for an article about the invention of an important farming tool.