Firefighters At Work
2nd Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of firefighters at work.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about what tools firefighters use to do their job.
• Explore and apply the concept of what firefighters do to how they use teamwork in their job.
Children will:• Deomnstrate an understanding of the concept of firefighters at work.
• Orally use words that describe what firefighters do.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about things firefighters use to do their job.
• Use key concept words [firefighter, firehouse, fire engine, hose].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about:
• What firefighters do.
• The tools firefighters use to do their job.
• How firefighters use teamwork to do their job.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask children: What do firefighters do? (put out fires, rescue people). What do you see in this picture that helps firefighters do their job? (helmets, fire engine, uniforms).
• Ask children: Why do you think firefighters work as a team? (help each other, keep each other safe).
• Say: Firefighters help our community in many ways. What are some ways that firefighters help us? (teach us fire safety, help with fire drills, put out fires, rescue pets from trees).
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next three slides, showing them how firefighters do their job. Always have the children describe the equipment they see and how firefighters use that equipment.
Apply• Have children view the remaining slides and play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to talk about how firefighters use the items on the screen to help them put out fires. After the second game, have them discuss whether they would like to be a firefighter and why.
Close• Ask children: Why are firefighters important in a community? Explain.
• Summarize for children that firefighters work as a team to keep us safe. They use things like hoses, fire engines, and special clothing to help them do their job. Encourage children to think about whether they would like to do the work that firefighters do.