Solving Crimes with Fingerprints
4th Grade, Research and Inquiry Activities
2. You will read about a crime that was committed before a girl's birthday party.
3. Read Forensics by Kalia and Carolyn. Who wrecked the birthday set-up?
4. Scroll down to What Can You Do?
5. Follow the directions and make a fingerprint of your and your partner's right index finger below. If you do not have charcoal, use chalk dust.
6. Write a mystery story with your partner on a separate sheet of paper. Imagine that you are detectives trying to solve a crime in your classroom. For example, imagine that someone has stolen the only soccer ball from the classroom closet. How do you solve the mystery using what you have learned about fingerprinting?
For additional information on fingerprinting go to http://www.fbi.gov/kids/k5th/whatwedo2.htm.