5th Grade, Research and Inquiry Activities
2. Read this Web page, titled "The Airplane As a Bird," to learn about how man has tried to imitate birds in order to learn how to fly.
3. For audio, select Click here for audio of Episode 373.
4. Now it is time to use your imagination. Think of something in nature that man could observe and study and then use as a model for a future invention.
5. On a blank sheet of paper, draw your imagined invention.
6. Be prepared to explain to the class the purpose of your invention. Also, be able to talk about what it was you observed to get your ideas and note the similarities between your invention and what you observed.
For additional information on studying nature, go to http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1122_021125_CropYields.html.