Adapting to Survive
4th Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about adapting and survival.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about the significance of adapting and survival.
• Explore and apply the concepts of adapting and survival.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of adapting and survival.
• Orally use words that describe how people and animals adapt.
• Extend oral vocabulary talking about why it is important to adapt.
• Use key concept words [adapt, environment, survive; camouflage, predator] .
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about adapting and survival:
• How people and animals adapt.
• Why people and animals adapt.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see in this photo? (a moth with four eyes. Why is the moth blending into the background? (it is trying to protect itself).
• Ask students: When have you tried to protect yourself? (answers will vary).
• Say: Adapt is to change in order to make suitable. Survive is to continue to exist. Since things change, it is important to adapt in order to survive. How do you adapt to the winter? (snow boots, heavy jacket, hat, gloves, scarf, etc.)
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next three slides, showing them how people are adapting to survive. Always have the students describe what would happen if they didn't adapt to those conditions.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to discuss why the dangers of being in the woods without these items. After the second game, have them discuss why they should update their emergency supplies.
Close• Ask students: In what ways do we adapt to survive with each other? Explain.
• Summarize for students that adapting is important to survival. If they can't adjust to your surroundings or conditions, then they will have a hard time. People have to adapt for many reasons such as the weather. Animals camouflage so that they can save themselves against other animals that are trying to attack them. Encourage them to think about how they adapt to meeting new people.