Protecting Our Natural Resources
3rd Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about the concept of protecting our natural resources
• Access prior knowledge and build background about natural resources and how to protect them.
• Explore and apply understanding of the concept of protecting out natural resources.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of natural resources.
• Orally use words that identify different ways to protect natural resources.
• Extend oral vocabulary by discussing the environment and the importance of natural resources.
• Use key concept words [natural resources, water, mineral, conserve].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about protecting natural resources:
• Natural resources are things found in nature that are necessary for life.
• Water, trees, and minerals like coal are all types of natural resources, and all of these materials are in danger because of pollution and over• use.
• It is very important to protect our natural resources.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see in this picture? (nature, trees, water, rocks, grass).
• Ask students: How do people use the different things you see in this picture? (people drink water, use wood from trees to build houses, and so on).
• Say: Pollution and over• use have hurt the world's supply of natural resources. It is important to protect and conserve, or save, our natural resources. How can you conserve energy? (turning off appliances you don't use).
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next three slides, showing them different uses for natural resources. Always have the students discuss alternative energy sources.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to find and discuss different natural resources around the classroom. After the second game, have them discuss ways to conserve and protect natural resources.
Close• Ask students: How can you help others to recognize the importance of protecting out natural resources?
• Summarize for students that natural resources won't last forever so it is important that we conserve. Encourage them to think about recycling.