1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to do research and inquiry on how things grow.
• Children will learn more about the different parts of a tree that develop as it grows.
• Children played a game by matching pictures of parts of a tree, and completed a poem about trees using a word bank.
• Draw a tree on the chalkboard, and have children look at the completed picture of the tree on the Web site. Ask the children to consider what they know about the different parts of the tree, i.e. color, texture, what lives on or in the part of the tree. Have them say what they think out loud, and write a word or two related to their ideas on the chalkboard.
• Ask children what type of plant they like best and take a class vote to determine the overall favorite. Get seeds for this plant and begin to grow them in a pot placed somewhere in the classroom that gets the appropriate amount of sunlight. Have children name the plant and chart its growth throughout the rest of the year as they take care of it.