Kids as Entrepreneurs
4th Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about entrepreneurs.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about the significance of achieving goals.
• Explore and apply the concepts of entrepreneurs and goals.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of goals.
• Orally use words that describe the purpose of entrepreneurs.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about entrepreneurs.
• Use key concept words ["making money", achieve, goals; entrepreneur].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about entrepreneurs:
• How do you achieve something.
• What is a goal.
• What is an entrepreneur.
• What is the significance of entrepreneurs.
• What is the purpose of goals.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see in this photo? (woman and man looking at blueprints and the house that they built). What do you think they hoped to achieve? (building a house).
• Ask students: How did they plan on achieving this goal? (they had a plan/blueprint).
• Say: Achieve means to gain something through one's own effort. Many people make plans in order to achieve something. Some people work hard and go to school. What have you achieved? (answers will vary).
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next three slides, showing them different goals. Always have the students describe how the goals were achieved.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to talk about what they would volunteer their time for. After the second game, have them discuss what happens to people that don't achieve their goals.
Close• Ask students: How do you feel after achieving a goal? Explain.
• Summarize for students that they have to be dedicated in order to achieve their goals. If they don't achieve them at first, they should keep trying. Encourage them to think about a time when they didn't achieve their goal and what they decided to do after.