5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on dogs.
• Students will read about several dog breeds.
• Students will complete a chart with facts about two dog breeds and decide which breed is best for children.
This Web site was created and maintained by Janet Wall to educate children about dogs. The goal of the site is to teach children to enjoy and responsibly care for dogs.
• Send students back to the Web site to explore more about dog breeds. Students can play a dog breed spelling game or take a quiz about dogs by clicking on Quiz Yourself . Students can also find out more about the responsibility of owning a dog.
• Have students connect to http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngexplorer/0301/articles/mainarticle.html.Ask students to:
read the article and then click on National Geographic Game: Working Dogs to play a trivia game about working dogs.
Click on Dogs With Jobs at the bottom of the page. On the new page, click About Dogs and then scroll down to Dog Jobs . Have students read more about different dog jobs that interest them. Ask students to work in a small group to write and present to the class a description of several kinds of dog jobs.
research more about dog breeds and working dogs. How are working dogs trained? Which breeds make the best working dogs? Ask students to research a specific event when working dogs were are used and write up a report explaining how the dogs successfully completed their jobs.