5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on the Dominican Republic.
• Students will take notes on all aspects of the Dominican Republic.
• Students will use their notes to create a travel brochure about the island to share with others.
This is the Web site for a travel company that reviews travel destinations. In addition to the Web site, which contains a wealth of information about various countries all over the world, the company has published numerous travel guidebooks.
• Students can go back to the Web site and explore a different Caribbean country. They can click on World Map in the upper right• hand corner and choose another Caribbean island to explore.
• Have students click on http://www.destination360.com/ and choose Caribbean from the drop• down menu on the left. They can then click Enter to find out more about the Caribbean. have students:
choose a Caribbean island to research and click its name to begin. By clicking on the pictures, students can see a full view of various parts of the island. Ask students to choose their favorite island and write a paragraph describing what they saw on the Web site.
view the pictures of the Caribbean islands and brainstorm words that describe what they see. Ask them to put their thoughts together to create a setting for a story. Students can write a fictional story that takes place on a Caribbean island and illustrate or print pictures from the Internet to represent their setting.
Have students look at pictures of the Caribbean reefs in the Dominica and St. Thomas sections of the Web site. Using the Internet, encourage students to find out more about the amazing reefs in the Caribbean. Students can put together a presentation about underwater life in the Caribbean.