4th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to research what it takes to become an astronaut, what space travel is like, and what astronauts wear in space.
• Students will complete a maze to find the best path for sending information from a satellite to scientists on Earth.
The site Space Stuff is part of the StarChild Web site, developed and maintained by NASA. The StarChild Web site offers information on astronauts, space travel, the Hubble Space Telescope, the Columbia Accident, space wardrobe, space probes, and a Who's Who in space.
• Students can make a drawing of the different parts of a space suit that astronauts wear and label each part.
• Students can work in small groups and go to the Main Menu of StarChild and research the Solar System or Universe and give a report of their findings.
• Have students connect to http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_kids/AskKids/index.shtml. Then have students click on Space Jobs. Then have students click on What types of NASA jobs are there?:
read more about the different types of jobs.
pick one job that they would like to do and have them draw a picture showing how that job is done in space.
give a short presentation about why they chose this job.