Wiley and the Hairy Man
3rd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on plays.
• Students will solidify their understanding of characters, roles, and stage directions.
• Students will read a play and illustrate their favorite scene from it.
This Web site was developed to help teachers adapt pieces of literature into plays for reader's theater. It features a number of different plays, divided by grade level, as well as directions on how to turn a piece of non• dramatic literature into a script.
• Have students perform the play or another appropriate play from the Web site. Discuss the steps involved in a production and ask students to list people besides actors and actresses that they would need to put on the play (make• up artist, a lighting technician, etc.).
• Have students connect to http://www.kidkountry.com/acting/acting.php. Have students choose profiles under "Acting stories..." to read about children who work as actors and actresses. Then have students:
discuss the kinds of productions they would want to be in if they were child actors or actresses.
search different profiles to find actors and actresses who have acted in the same play or production.
Have students write their own make• believe acting profiles.