4th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research about snakes.
• Students will take notes on different kinds of snakes.
• Students will answer questions based on what they read.
This PBS site contains interesting and fun-to-read articles about snakes. Links lead students to various articles, photos, and videos about snakes.
Have students connect to http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngexplorer/0409/articles/mainarticle.html.
• After reading Snake Safari, have students scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Umass Amherst: Snake Mythology to find out how to sort snake facts from fiction.
• Have students return to Snake Safari, and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on National Geographic News: Snake Hunter to read about a snake hunter's adventures in Costa Rica.
• Have students connect to http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/search/ligans_animals?p=snake. Students should use the information on the site to:
create a poster about a snake species.
create a chart that shows 20 different snakes and their corresponding habitats, diets, lengths, and identifying characteristics.
connect to http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/animals/reptiles/ and select Beware: Venomous Reptiles (under Learn More About Reptiles) to research venemous reptiles, and make a presentation to the class about their findings.