The Sun: Our Star
3rd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will watch a slideshow about the sun and read the accompanying text.
• Students will watch the slideshow a second time, searching for answers to specific questions.
• Students will record their answers in complete sentences on a separate sheet of paper.
This web page was created by NASA, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. The kid's section of the NASA web site contains links to games; art and stories; and activities relating to outer space.
• Have students connect to http://dynamicsun.gsfc.nasa.gov/img/solar.pdf on the NASA website (they can access this link directly after finishing the slide show). This web page has pictures of a solar eruption under Activities and Build Your Own Sun Flip Book. Have students follow the directions to make a flip book of a solar eruption.
• Have students connect to http://www.michielb.nl/sun/corona.htm and take the "Journey Through the Sun." Have them:
take notes on what they read, and turn in those notes to be assessed.
make a poster that conveys information about the sun's center, surface, and atmosphere.
make a glossary for the website by looking up any unfamiliar words in a dictionary and recording their definitions for the class to use (Beyond).