1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to do research and inquiry on folktales.
• Children will learn more about things that live and grow in Australia.
• Children will complete a worksheet by drawing a scene from a familiar folktale as it would appear set in Australia.
• Have children look at the pictures of the animals on the Web site. Ask them what else they know about these animals. Have them act out what the animals do. Ask them what they know about other animals that live in Australia or other faraway places, i.e. polar bears, octopuses, hippopotamuses, and do the same.
• Have children cut out the pictures they have drawn. Have them present these to the class, explaining what is happening and to what kinds of animals. See if any of the children use the same animals, or if any of them draw scenes that can be sequentially linked to others. Group these children together and have them create a class storybook, filling in whatever gaps in the story there may be with new drawings.