4th Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about adventure.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about the significance of exploration.
• Explore and apply the concept of exploring.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of adventure.
• Orally use words that describe exploring.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about how to explore and the benefits of exploring.
• Use key concept words [adventure, explore, explorer; challenge, equipment].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about adventure:
• What is adventure.
• What is exploring.
• Who is an explorer.
• What are the challenges of exploring.
• What equipment do you need to explore.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see in this photo? (a person in the air holding on to a parachute). Does this look unusual and exciting? Why? (answers will vary).
• Ask students: Would you ever do what this person is doing? (answers will vary).
• Say: Imagine going to the moon, sky• diving, or climbing Mt. Everest! All these things are called adventures. An adventure is something a person does that is an unusual and exciting experience. But you don't always have to do things to have an adventure. Many books can take you on adventures. What books have you read that have taken you on adventures? (answers will vary).
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next three slides, showing them different kinds of adventures. Always have the students discuss what came out of these adventures.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to talk about what they might find when exploring a cave. After the second game, have them discuss whether they'd want to be an explorer.
Close• Ask students: What qualities do you need to be an explorer? Explain.
• Summarize for students that many explorers are brave people after all, they go to different places. So courage, is one quality. Explorers also need to be strong since they face the unknown. Explorers also need to be smart and know how to use their equipment. Encourage them to think about whether they have these qualities.