1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to do research and inquiry about identifying butterflies.
• Children will learn the meaning of symmetry and how it applies to butterfly wings.
• Children will demonstrate their understanding by making their own butterfly wings.
• Have children work in pairs. Lead them outside and have them look for insects. With one child as the recorder and the other as the artist, have them prepare a written description of the insect they see with an accompanying visual. Ask them to label the parts of the insect in their drawing.
• Have children create their own bug cartoon characters. Have them name their characters, tell what kinds of bugs they are, where they live, and so forth.