2nd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on the moon.
• Children will learn more about the moon and its phases.
• Children will complete an online computer assignment by printing a moon diagram of the month of their birthday. Then children will match one of the four moon phases to the one that appeared on their birthday.
The site is presented by the University of Texas McDonald Observatory. It is a site about outer space. The site has resources for teachers.
• Have children describe the moon with metaphors.
• Have children connect to http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/activities/label/labelmoonphases.shtml. Then have children print this activity page. Then have children:
Click on Moon Phases Information, located on the top left of page, to complete the activity sheet.
Use the diagram to tell which phase of the moon we are in currently.
Use the diagram to tell the class the number of cycles we have left in the current month.