6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on search and rescue dogs.
• Students will learn about the requirements for search and rescue dogs and how they are trained.
• Students will write a help wanted advertisement for a search and rescue dog.
The page is part of the National Association for Search and Rescue Web site. It contains information about
search and rescue dogs.
• Have students discuss why dogs are good at rescuing people. Have them list ways that dogs can help in rescue missions that people can not.
• Have the students connect to http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngexplorer/0301/articles/mainarticle.html. Then have students click on National Geographic Games: Working Dogs at the bottom of the page and:
complete the quiz.
write a few paragraphs about how dogs could be used to improve their communities.
(Beyond) Have students write a story about a day in the life of a working dog.