3rd Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about the concept of cooking.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about cooking.
• Explore and apply understanding of the concept of cooking and preparing meals.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of cooking.
• Orally use words that identify different methods of cooking and preparing food.
• Extend oral vocabulary by discussing the process of preparing a meal.
• Use key concept words [cooking, recipe].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about cooking:
• Before a meal reaches the table, there is a lot of work to be done in the kitchen.
• It is important to use fresh ingredients.
• Recipes tell you how to prepare a meal.
• Food is cooked on a stove, in an oven or a microwave. It's important to cook some foods to kill germs.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see in this picture? (food, vegetables, groceries).
• Ask students: What kinds of mealss can we make with the food you see? (answers will vary).
• Say: After you buy food at the grocery store, you can cook it to turn it into a delicious meal. What do you buy at the grocery store? (answers will vary).
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next three slides, showing them different ways to prepare food. Always have the students discuss different recipes that they know.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to discuss their favorite meal and how to prepare it. After the second game, have them describe a memorable family dinner.
Close• Ask students: How do you help your parents to prepare meals?
• Summarize for students that cooking can be a lot of fun. Cooking things kills all the germs. It is also important to clean up after cooking. Encourage them to make a list of chores to do in the kitchen once they have finihsed eating.