Cinquains and Other Poetry
4th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to find definitions of different kinds of poems, including cinquain, narrative, limerick, haiku, free verse, and lyric poems.
• Students will read a cinquain and other types of poems that children have written.
• Students will write their own poem and submit it to a Web site.
This PBS for kids Web site explores the cinquain and other kinds of poetry, gives examples of poems that other children have written, and gives students a place to write their own.
• Have students connect to http://www.poetry4kids.com. Ask them to click on Funny Poems. They can click on the titles of various poems to read them.
• Have students connect to http://www.poetry4kids.com. Then have students:
select their favorite poem and discuss it with a partner.
illustrate their favorite poem.
choose a poem to act out with partner.