Protecting the Environment
5th Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about the concept of Protecting the Environment.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about environmental issues.
• Explore and apply the concept of protecting the environment.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of how to protect the environment.
• Orally use words that describe different ways of protecting the environment.
• Extend vocabulary by speaking about environmental issues.
• Use key concept words [fires, recycle, harm, protect, environment, pollution].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about:
• Things that harm the environment.
• Things people can do to help protect the environment.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see in this picture? (mountains, trees, grass, plants, water, rocks)
• Ask students: Does this look like a healthy environment? (Yes). How can you tell? (There is no pollution.)
• Say: In this activity, we will learn about different kinds of pollution, and about some ways that we can help protect our environment. Where does pollution come from?
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next three slides, showing them examples of pollution. Always have the students describe how the environment is being harmed.
• Guide students through the last slide, showing them that recycling is an example of something people can do to protect the environment.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to talk about what things they recycle at school or at home. After the second game, have them discuss ways that they can help protect the environment. After the third game, have students discuss forest fires. Discuss other ways that they have seen their environment harmed.
Close• Ask students: What can we do to help protect the environment we live in?
• Summarize for students that it is important that we protect our environment—including the air we breathe, the water, the habitats of animals, and the places where we live. Encourage them to think of things we can do to help protect our environment.