2nd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on poetry.
• Students will learn about rap music's relation to poetry.
• Students will find rhyming words and used them to write a rap song.
Poetry4Kids.com provides a free online rhyming dictionary, as well as many other links and resources related to poetry.
• Have students explore other sections of the Web site.
• When students are done writing poems, the class can hold a poetry and rap hour, where students can read their poems out loud or perform their raps for the class. Encourage students to set their poetry or rap to music, either live or recorded.
• Have students go to http://www.poetspath.com/exhibits/magnificentrainbow.html and look through the
different types of poetry that are presented on the Web page. Then have students:
choose their favorite type of poetry and write their own poem in the same style.
make poetry books by writing and assembling different types of poems and accompanying illustrations. You can display their books around the classroom for other students to read.
research different types of poetic devices like similes, alliteration, metaphors, and personification. Once students understand the different devices, they can look for examples in the children's poetry on the above Web site. Encourage students to choose a form of poetry from the site and create their own poems in that form, using several poetic devices.