6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on science fiction.
• Students will learn about ideas that appeared in Jules Verne's science fiction work that eventually became partially real scientific concepts.
• Students will devise and draw a science fiction device that they think may actually be invented in the future. They will write 1• 2 sentences about its potential use.
• The site is provided through the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. It contains information about Jules Verne and science fiction devices that were actually invented.
• Have students write a paragraph describing a time machine that they might design.
• Have students draw a detailed illustration of this time machine.
• Have students write a science fiction story about time travel in the time machine they designed.
• Have students go to http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/mmgallery/fact_fiction_nonflash.html. Then ask them to:
read through the ten fact• or• fiction features.
Click View Flash Version of the Quiz at the bottom of the page. Have them take the quiz, and when they are finished, have them right click on the quiz browser to print the results.
choose one of the fact• or• fiction features that is shown to be fiction. Have students imagine what would happen if this fiction some day proved to be fact. Then have students write a short science fiction story explaining how this was discovered to be true and the impact it has had.