3rd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on cinquain poetry.
• Students will use a worksheet to create cinquain poems of their own.
• Students will read their poems aloud to the class.
This Web site was created by Susan Brannan to teach children about different kinds of poetry. It contains a number of online worksheets that help students create their own poems.
• Have students click on the "back" arrow to return to the main page of the site. Next, have students select the 5 w's worksheet. Ask students to print the worksheet and to use it to guide them in writing a new poem. Students should either choose a new topic to write about or should write about the same topic, using entirely new ideas and new descriptive adjectives.
• Have students go to http://www.poetryteachers.com/schoolpoems/schoolpoems.html. Students can select a poem to read by clicking on its title. After students have read five poems, have them:
select their favorite and read it aloud to the class.
draw a picture that they would want to accompany their favorite poem on the site.
write a poem about some aspect of school life (lunch time, announcements, recess, riding the bus, homework, math lessons, etc.) and read it aloud to the class.