5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to research narrative poetry.
• Students will find and read narrative poems on a poetry Web site.
• Students will write a response to one of the poems.
• Students will complete an additional activity.
The Giggle Poetry Web site is a site for kids that explores poetry written by established authors and children. It also has fun activities, writing contests, and other poetry• related activities.
• Have students return to the main site and click on Read 'Em Rate 'Em to find examples of narrative poems that children have written. They can also grade the poems.
• Have students connect to http://www.voicesnet.org/allpoemsonecategory.aspx?catid=NT0010 and pick out their favorite narrative poem. Then have students:
read the poem with a partner and discuss the story that the poem is telling.
rewrite the poem in the form of a regular story.
write their own narrative poem about an experience of theirs, using the same style as the poem they chose.