A Hospital Visit
2nd Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of hospitals.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about who works at a hospital.
• Explore and apply the concept of why people go to a hospital to how visiting hospital makes you feel better and be healthy.
Children will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of hospitals.
• Orally use words that describe what a hospital is like.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about why people go to a hospital.
• Use key concept words [sick, doctor, nurse, medicine, emergency, hospital].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the concept vocabulary words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about hospitals:
• What a hospital is.
• Why people need to go to a hospital sometimes.
• Who works at a hospital.
• What an emergency is.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask children: What does the place in the picture look like? (white, chair, hallways). Who needs to go to a hospital? (people who are hurt, people who are sick)
• Ask children: Have you ever been to a hospital? (answers will vary).
• Say: There are many reasons why someone might need to go to a hospital. What are some reasons? (a broken arm or leg, being sick, needing a check• up).
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next three slides, showing them what a hospital is like. Always have the children describe the different people who work at a hospital and what they do.
Apply• Have children play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to talk about how the items on the screen could help them feel better if they were sick or hurt and help the children learn more about hospitals. After the second game, have them discuss what Marcus felt like when he got home.
Close• Ask children: Would you like to work in a hospital? Explain.
• Summarize for children that we might have to visit a hospital to get better after being sick or getting hurt. Hospitals are places where people work to help us feel better and be healthy.