1st Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of expressing yourself.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about different ways we express ourselves.
• Explore and apply concepts of different ways we express ourselves to how we each are creative and unique.
Children will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of what being creative means.
• Orally use words that name and describe different activities that we can do to express ourselves.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about special talents that our classmates have.
• Use key concept words [art, sing, act, creative, talent].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about:
• What creative means.
• What a talent is.
• Some activities that we can do to express ourselves.
• Some tools we use to make art.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the children on screen. Ask children: What do you see in this picture? (children dressed up, costumes). What could be a reason that the children are wearing costumes? (they're preparing for a play, dance recital).
• Ask children: What activity would you like to get more involved in at school? (answers will vary).
• Proceed to the next slide. Say: This boy is playing a pipe. He could be practicing for a performance. Why do you think it is important to practice? (answers will vary).
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next two slides, showing them the different kinds of ways we can express ourselves. Always have children tell whether they are interested in the activity onscreen.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to discuss what clubs they would like to their school to have. After the second game, have children say which activities they would like to try and help them learn more about the activities they are interested in.
Close• Ask children: Why is it important that we express ourselves?
• Say: There are many ways we can express ourselves. We can act in a play, play music, or make art! What is your favorite way to express yourself?