3rd Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about the concept of getting along.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about relationships and getting along.
• Explore and apply understanding of the concept of getting along.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of getting along.
• Orally use words that identify different ways to get along.
• Extend oral vocabulary by discussing different types of relationships.
• Use key concept words ["getting along", friend, basketball, share].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about getting along:
• Getting along is a very important part of daily life.
• Friends are people with whom we get along and have fun.
• Getting along is important when teamwork is involved.
• It is important to share, to be respectful, and to treat others the way you would like to be treated.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you see in this picture? (people, friends, talking or being together).
• Ask students: Why do you like to be around your friends? (they are nice, share similar interests, friends talk, listen and share). • Say: Whether it be friends, classmates, or just people you meet during the day, it is important to know how to get along with others. How can you get along with others? (listening, showing respect, being polite, etc.)
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next three slides, showing them situations in which getting along is important. Always have the students discuss why getting along is especially important when on a team.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to discuss a situation in which they had to get along with others. After the second game, have them discuss how they might go about getting along better with others.
Close• Ask students: What are some important things to remember about getting along with others?
• Summarize for students that getting along is about treating each other with respect. Encourage them to think about how to get along with someone if they don't agree with them.