6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on interviews.
• Students will interview a friend or family member about how and when their family came to America.
• Students will present the information they learned to the class.
This is part of the PBS Kids Learning Adventures in Citizenship section on pbs.org. Students can also use the site to learn about the history of New York and other early American communities.
• Based on the answers they have already received from their subject, have students come up with some questions of their own that they think would be good choices to add to the interview.
• Have students connect to: http://www.youthlearn.org/learning/teaching/questions.asp. Have them read about the three basic types of interview questions. Then have students:
write one of each of the three basic types of interview questions.
interview a classmate and record the answers.
interview a classmate, and present their findings on each question to the class.