Into the Future
5th Grade Oral Language Resources
Students will:• Learn about the concept of the future.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about what changes the future may bring.
• Explore and apply the concept of moving into the future.
Students will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of the future.
• Orally use words that describe aspects of the future.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about what happens as we move into the future.
• Use key concept words [ astronomy, vehicle, robot, city, transportation, computer; isolate, laser, function, exotic, future, technology].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that students are going to learn about:
• The future.
• Things that happen or change as we move into the future.
• Inventions or things that are made as we move into the future.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the photo on screen. Ask students: What do you think of when you think about the future? (answers will vary).
• Ask students: Can you imagine how the world will change as we move into the future? (answers will vary).
• Say: In this activity, we're going to learn about what things may happen or change as we move into the future. How have things changed since you were little? (answers will vary).
Guided Practice• Guide students through the next five slides, showing them that the pictures are examples of changes that have already occurred as people have moved into the future. Always have the students describe how things have changed.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask students to talk about what things have changed the speed of travel. After the second game, have them discuss what new things or inventions they think they will see in the future.
Close• Ask students: What inventions do you think have been the most important, or changed our lives the most? Explain.
• Summarize for students that many changes happen as we move into the future. Encourage them to think about what new things they see and how it affects our lives.