6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on surveys.
• Students will read a list of the top ten movies at the box office.
• Students will conduct surveys to determine who has seen any of the movies in the top ten and present their findings to the class.
The list of top ten movies at the box office is featured on the Web site for USA Today. The list is updated with the most recent results when they are made available.
• Have students select Top 150 Books, Top Albums, or Top Singles from the left menu bar to learn about best sellers in publishing and music. Have them conduct another survey to determine if any of their classmates are reading these books or listening to this music.
• Have students connect to: http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/pollzone. Then have students:
take each poll shown by choosing their answers and clicking on Vote!
choose one poll, vote in it, and look closely at the results. Have them ask their classmates how they would answer the question and record their answers.
conduct a poll among their classmates and then compare the results they found to the results shown on the Web site. How are the results different? Why might they differ?