1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the Internet to learn that some animal babies need parental care after birth, while others do not.
• Children will learn about baby birds whose parent cares for them after birth and baby snakes whose parent does not care for them after birth.
• Children will match baby animals to the parents that care for them.
• Have children look again at Website. Discuss what other animals stay with their moms after they are born. For example, cows, horses, most other mammals and birds. What animals do not need their parents after birth? For example, most reptiles and fish.
• Talk about male animals that also take care of their young, such as the Emperor Penguin.