3rd Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on architecture.
• Students will learn to spot patterns in architecture.
• Students will draw a picture of their school and search for patterns in their school's construction.
• Students will complete an additional activity.
This Web site was created by Julie Cowan, an artist and designer from Evanston, Illinois. This site contains a list of architectural words, build• it• yourself projects, information about structures and materials, and information on how to become an architect.
Students can click on the "Build It Yourself" link from the home page. Have students click on the "drawing projects" link on the left• hand side of the page and then on the "Draw a dream classroom" link. Next, have students look at the labeled drawing and draw a "dream classroom" of their own. Ask: What furniture would be in your dream classroom? Would your dream classroom have a refrigerator? What would be in the refrigerator? Would it have a rug? What pets would be in your dream classroom?
• Have students explore http://www.casas.com/architect/franklloydwright/fallingwater010.html, and move the cursor up and down to see different views of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Have them:
discuss whether they would like to live there.
draw a floorplan of a home they would like to live in some day.
draw a floorplan and write a paragraph explaining their design.