6th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to do research and inquiry on communication.
• Students will learn more about communication.
• Students will complete an online exercise by reading about communication between a gorilla and man. Students will also answer some questions about Koko the gorilla.
This site is presented by PBS. The site is from the PBS NATURE Online series. The site is dedicated to exploring our natural world. It features resources for teachers.
• Have students talk about the different ways people and animals communicate.
• Have students discuss the importance of communication and how it influences our everyday lives.
• Have the students connect to http://www.pbs.org/wnet/soundandfury/culture/voices.html. Then have students:
read the information on the page about deaf culture. Then have students view and listen to some of the stories and experiences of the deaf by clicking on the appropriate video connection beneath the picture of each person.
click on Fingerspelling Player on the top menu bar. Then have them read and follow the instructions. They must click start in order to begin the activity.
use sign language to spell out their name or a short expression for the class.