Cats in Art
1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to make up a story about a cat.
• Children will use the paint program on their computers to draw their main character.
• Children will use the paint program on their computers to draw the setting of their story.
• Have children go back to the computer and finish their cat story by drawing a middle and end to the story. After children have printed the pages, ask them to write a sentence (or more) to tell their story. Have a cat story publishing party and ask children to share their stories with the class.
• Bring the class to the library or use your classroom library and have children go on an animal scavenger hunt to find other books with animals as characters. Select a few types of animals, such as lions, rabbits, and dogs, and create a scavenger hunt sheet for children to fill out, including titles and authors of the books. If there is time, they could also be asked to draw a sketch of the animal characters from the stories they find.