Chinese New Year
1st Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Children will use the computer to do research and inquiry on Chinese New Year traditions.
• Children will see photographs of a traditional Chinese New Year house• cleaning and a New Year Lion dancer.
• Children will color and cut out their own Chinese New Year lions and affix them to popsicle sticks to make New Year ornaments.
• Have children celebrate the Chinese New Year. Talk about which Chinese calendar year (year of the rat, year of the monkey, etc.) it is. Have children wear Red and use their Lion ornaments to have their own New Year parade.
• Explain New Year's resolutions to children. Ask them to set one goal for themselves for the New Year. Compile the resolutions and hang them up in the classroom.