5th Grade Research and Inquiry Resources
• Students will use the Internet to learn about shape poetry.
• Students will compose a shape poem online, then print it.
• Students will create a hurricane shape poem.
This is an interactive Web site that explains the definition of shape poetry, provides examples, then allows the student to create and print a shape poem of their own. It is provided by readwritethink.org, an educational resource.
• Have students return to the beginning of the activity and compose a poem using a different shape. • Gather the printouts of the students' shape poems and compile them as a class shape poetry book.
• Have students connect to: http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/. Then ask them to find and click on the song titled "Shelter From the Storm.�? Have students:
read the lyrics to this song.
discuss if the lyrics can be considered a poem. Why or why not? Have them listen to the lyrics set to music by choosing a version on the left menu bar.
write their own poem using the same rhyme pattern as the lyrics. Have them use the weather or a weather condition as the poem's subject.