1st Grade Oral Language Resources
Children will:• Learn about the concept of friends.
• Access prior knowledge and build background about different relationships we have.
• Explore and apply concepts of how to be a good friend.
Children will:• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of being friends.
• Orally use words that name and describe things we like to do with friends.
• Extend oral vocabulary by speaking about what we like about our friends.
• Use key concept words [friend, good, feelings, play, friendship, relationship].
Explain• Use the slideshow to review the key concept words.
• Explain that children are going to learn about:
• What we like about being friends.
• What relationships are.
• Why it's important to be a good friend.
• Ways we can keep in touch with our friends.
Model• After the host introduces the slideshow, point to the children on screen. Ask children: What are the children doing in the picture? (playing in a pool). How do you know the are friends? (they are having fun together).
• Ask children: How do you have fun with your friends? (answers will vary).
• Proceed to the next slide. Say: These friends are laughing together. Tell about a time that you laughed with your friends. (answers will vary)
Guided Practice• Guide children through the next two slides, showing them the different ways that children can be good friends. Always have children describe how they are good friends.
Apply• Play the games that follow. Have them discuss with their partner the different topics that appear during the Talk About It feature.
• After the first game, ask children to discuss times their friends have done something to make them feel good. After the second game, have children discuss their favorite way to keep in touch with friends and help them learn more about the ways to keep in touch they are interested in.
Close• Ask children: How have you been a good friend this school year?
• Say: Friends are people who we like to be around. We can be good friends by sharing with our friends and keeping in touch! What are some ways that you can keep in touch with friends?